Saturday 31 December 2011

Books Read 2011

(an 'x' indicates a re-read - thanks, David, for pointing out that I'd forgotten to mention this!)

1. Howards End - E.M. Forster
2. And Furthermore - Judi Dench and John Miller
3. The English - Jeremy Paxman
4. The Skin Chairs - Barbara Comyns
5. Bonjour Tristesse - Francoise Sagan
6. Personal Pleasures - Rose Macaulay
7. A Kind Man - Susan Hill
8. Gay Life - E.M. Delafield
9. William - E.H. Young
10. Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
11. The Machine Stops/The Celestial Omnibus - E.M. Forster
12. At Large and At Small - Anne Fadiman
13. To Tell My Story - Irene Vanbrugh
14. Saplings - Noel Streatfeild
15. The Gingerbread Woman - Jennifer Johnston
16. A House in the Country - Jocelyn Playfair
17. Echo - Violet Trefusis
18. People on a Bridge - Wislawa Szymborska
19. As We Are Now - May Sarton
20. Love of Seven Dolls - Paul Gallico
21. Not to Disturb - Muriel Spark
22. The Return of the Native - Thomas Hardy
23. The Perfect Pest - Adiran Porter
24. Mr. Chartwell - Rebecca Hunt
25. Countess Under the Stairs - Eva Ibbotson
26. The Caravaners - Elizabeth von Arnim
27. Broderie Anglaise - Violet Trefusis
28. The Thought-Reading Machine - Andre Maurois
29. Freakonomics - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
30. Going Postal - Terry Pratchett
31. The Unbearable Bassington - Saki
32. Virginia - Jens Christian Grondahl
33. A View From Downshire Hill -Elizabeth Jenkins
34. A Truth Universally Acknowledged - (ed.) Susannah Carson
35. Illyrian Spring - Ann Bridge
36. Jennie - Paul Gallico
x37. Mr. Pim Passes By - A.A. Milne
38. Life Among the Savages - Shirley Jackson
39. How Can You Bear To Be Human? - Nicolas Bentley
40. Fingersmith - Sarah Waters
41. The Slaves of Solitude - Patrick Hamilton
42. The Lady and the Little Fox Fur - Violette Leduc
43. The Lottery and other stories - Shirley Jackson
x44. The Love-Child - Edith Olivier
x45. I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
x46. Lady Into Fox - David Garnett
x47. The Taming of the Shrew - William Shakespeare
x48. Lolly Willowes - Sylvia Townsend Warner
49. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
50. The Element of Lavishness - William Maxwell and Sylvia Townsend Warner
51. The Triumphant Footman - Edith Olivier
52. The Town in Bloom - Dodie Smith
53. Lipstick - Lady Kitty Vincent
54. Sylvia & David - the letters of Sylvia Townsend Warner and David Garnett
55. Gin & Ginger - Lady Kitty Vincent
56. Dearest Jean - Rose Macaulay
57. Hotel du Lac - Anita Brookner
58. A Fairy Leapt Upon My Knee - Bea Howe
59. People Who Say Goodbye - P.Y. Betts
60. Shaving Through the Blitz - G.W. Stonier
61. Exercises in Style - Raymond Queneau
62. Memento Mori - Muriel Spark
63. Red Pottage - Mary Cholmondeley
64. Westwood - Stella Gibbons
65. One Day - David Nicholls
66. Live Alone and Like It - Marjorie Hillis
67. Without Knowing Mr. Walkley - Edith Olivier
68. The Tiny Wife - Andrew Kaufman
69. Prison to Praise - Merlin Carothers
70. Safety Pins - Christopher Morley
71. A Baker's Dozen - Llewelyn Powys
72. The Earth Hums in B Flat - Mari Strachan
73. The Misses Mallett - E.H. Young
x74. Still-William - Richmal Crompton
75. Common or Garden Crime - Sheila Pim
76. Christopher and Columbus - Elizabeth von Arnim
77. Our Hearts Were Young and Gay - Cornelia Otis Skinner and Emily Kimborough
78. The Love Affairs of a Bibliomania - Eugene Field
79. The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
x80. William the Good - Richmal Crompton
81. Singled Out - Virginia Nicholson
82. Two Serious Ladies - Jane Bowles
83. Appius and Virginia - G.E. Trevelyan
x84. The Backward Shadow - Lynne Reid Banks
x85. The L-Shaped Room - Lynne Reid Banks
86. Living Alone - Stella Benson
87. Night Thoughts of a Country Landlady - Edith Olivier
88. Here's How - Virginia Graham
x89. The Venetian Glass Nephew - Elinor Wylie
x90. Two Is Lonely - Lynne Reid Banks
91. The Pearl - John Steinbeck
92. The Man Who Was Thursday - G.K. Chesterton
93. So Long, See You Tomorrow - William Maxwell
94. Up At The Villa - W. Somerset Maugham
95. The Double - Fyodor Dostoevsky
96. The Amorous Bicycle - Mary Essex
97. Wasted Womanhood - Charlotte Cowdroy
x98. Miss Hargreaves - Frank Baker
99. The House - Richmal Crompton
100. Let Not The Waves of the Sea - Simon Stephenson
101. A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennesse Williams
102. Nella Last's Peace - Nella Last
103. A Covenant With Death - Stephen Becker
104. Stop What You're Doing and Read This - various
105. Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
106. Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss

10 comments:

  1. Hello Simon

    Wishing you a blessed New Year and may all your wishes come true.

    Well done, that is a lot of great books you have read and I love how diverse your subjects.

    Thank you for your always interesting blog. You have steered me to read many books. I know I will enjoy the book if you have suggested it .....the Gilead was brilliant.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the books others reads--it always gives me ideas--not that I need more ideas! I have the sequel to The L Shaped Room--really must read it. There are a number of books on your list that I want to read--the Playfair for one! Have a Great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely list! Many of your books are either favorites of mine or on my huge TBR pile. Yay for kindred spirits. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading lists. I've actually read 12 of these, and many more of them are on the tbr list. Happy New Year to you and your family, and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the "x" before the number indicate a re-read?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen - thank you,a nd the same to you! I hope you have a wonderfully bookish new year.

    Danielle - we're never short on ideas, are we? I can't understand people who say they don't have any ideas what to read next - we all have FAR too many! The Playfair is brilliant.

    Amanda - yay indeed!

    Susan - I'm sorry I failed to add Home to this list this year - Will Do Better in 2012! Happy New Year to you all x

    David - oops, thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika W.

    I had fun seeing how many of these I have read = 30 (I assume I've read the two Juat Williams as my half brother had a big collection of them. Now I've jotted down several titles to read in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dropping in to marvel at your end of year list, Simon. I am very surprised that I've actually read a couple of them. :)

    Good for me.

    I only read 90 books this year. (not counting my lunch time re-reads) so your 107 looks pretty good to me.

    Also dropped in to wish you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR! I have a feeling that 2012 is going to be a great reading year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi
    just passing thought. Liked you list ...long! and an incredible variety. Feel inspired to reread the Lynn Reid Banks Trilogy too now, the love of my teenage years.
    thanks for sharing and good luck with your 2012 challenge
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, you reached 100+. I was hoping to achieve that again this year, but my plan of reading only the Bible for Lent "thwarted" my list of fiction read. Still, it was quite worth it to end the year with 82, knowing that I'd focused on His word for 40 days.

    Love your Century reading plan, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.