Thursday 18 September 2008

A Year of Mornings

The book publication I've been most eagerly awaiting is one with almost no words. Which might not say much for Stuck-in-a-Book's literary credentials, but perhaps you'll understand when I tell you what the book is...

I've eulogised about the blog 3191 before - this post could scarcely be bettered by a teenage girl waving pom-poms and screaming 'Oh my gawwsh, they're so, like, awesome!' For those who haven't come across their blog, either pop over there and have a look, or go to my post linked above to read what they do. In brief, two people living 3191 miles apart took photos every morning and posted them alongside each other - now they do the same in the evening. Beautiful and unexpected coincidences, symmetries, contrasts would appear - both are brilliant photographers, focusing on the details of normal, domestic life.

So I first in line to Pr
inceton Architectural Press to ask for a review copy, when I found out that A Year of Mornings was going to be published in book format. And it's delicious. The book is out in the US at the beginning of October (though their blog suggests it's out now, so maybe they know best) and out on Amazon.co.uk a bit later - though the date there is changing every now and then. Keep an eye out. The pictures aren't done quite how I expected - the photos are done in pairs, as on the blog, but the sets of two aren't all the same size, and are at odd positions over the pages. It kinda works, but sometimes means my favourite pairs are rather small (20th June is perhaps my favourite, but honourable mention must go to 11th July) - but this is a small quibble.

Mav and Steph, with Princeton Architectural Press on design, have created a truly beautiful, wonderful book of photographs which demonstrate talent without being pretentious or off-putting. This would make a lovely coffee table book, or a great gift, and I can't thank Karen/Cornflower enough for pointing me in the direction of their blog over a year ago.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea--I will have to see if I can find the book in a local bookstore. Now I must pop on over to their blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for anything with a teapot on the cover. For that matter, a first line in a book that says "poured a cup of tea". Looks lovely Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for the support! my best, mav

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting one. Should be added to my reading list.

    Cheers,
    http://kutenk2000.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.