Sunday 20 January 2008

Reviewing How I Review


This wonderful picture came from seasonalsoundings.blogspot.com - go and have a look!
Lynne has been sharing the secrets of her success, as it were, talking about how she reads and reviews - and, along with a few other things, it's got me thinking.

The first time I was offered a review book I was beyond excited - thank you very much lovely Ellie at Hesperus Press, and if you ever want to send some more..! - and I still get a little joyous at the sight of a review request in my inbox. I'm not inundated with them, so every one is still a nice surprise, and I have only turned down one so far, because it was an area of non-fiction which I didn't feel qualified or interested enough in to read.

That's the thing, you see - unlike Lynne, I haven't got to the point where reading every book sent, cover-to-cover would be impossible, and so I can maintain my strict reading of everything that is sent. Perhaps it is the dizzy naivety of a 22 year old who believe that an eternity of reading lies ahead of him, or something like that, but I can't start a book and leave it unfinished. Yes, yes, I know that liberation of putting aside reads which don't satisfy, and it is a trait I almost admire, but I feel I have made something of a contract with the author. Let's ignore Reception Theory for the moment (and forever, if that's ok) I just think to myself "Hmm, well, if I'd spent months writing this book, the least I'd expect would be for the reader to spend a few days on it." Which isn't espeically rational, but is fixed in my head nonetheless.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a chore to read the books I'm sent - far from it. Some have become firm favourites. But I can't cope with many more!
I was recently asked to have my name put down as a blog reviewer in an article which would be circulated to vast numbers of writers, and, with regrets, I had to decline (well, first I excitedly accepted, but then my sensible hat came out of the wardrobe and was dusted thoroughly). I never thought I'd turn down piles of free books, but I'd feel obliged to read them - and I don't have the time to read many more than I do, especially with a potential Masters looming. I'll still accept everything sent to me, trust me, I just won't court attention for hundreds... and writers can be content in the knowledge that I will read nigh on everything sent to me, though sometimes it may take a while...


My other issue - almost everything I'm sent has been written in the last year or two, unsurprisingly. And I want variety! Hence the picture - I'm embroiled in some wonderful re-reads... However wonderful a novel is, a modern writer can't write it in 1840. So what I'd really love is more reprint publishers to send me things... can anyone recommend a reprint publisher who might be pleased with some publicity? Or perhaps I should get back in touch with my first firm friends, Hesperus Press...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Simon,
    Don't you just love that print? I could find no attribution for it.

    I found it interesting, some might call it a harmonic convergence, that when I received you comment, checked out your blog, I saw that you are a librarian at Oxford, I had just, and I mean JUST, finished reading the first book in a trilogy set at Oxford University. I wrote a short entry about the book at Seasonal Soundings. You might be interested in reading them, if you've not already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I essentially agree with all you say here! and I too had some lovely books from Hesperus, which also seem to have dried up! Perhaps they will see your blog and take mercy.

    ReplyDelete

I've now moved to www.stuckinabook.com, and all my old posts are over there too - do come and say hello :)

I probably won't see your comment here, I'm afraid, but all my archive posts can also be found at www.stuckinabook.com.